Why I love short Kings

Why I Love Short Kings

By Cammy

I’m a tall woman. There, I said it.

I’ve spent plenty of my life being the girl who stands out in a crowd, the girl who gets asked how tall she is, and the girl who has occasionally wondered whether being tall makes dating a little more complicated.

But honestly? I’ve never understood why a man being shorter than me is supposed to be a problem.

In fact, I have a confession to make: I love short kings.

And I don’t mean that as some kind of consolation prize. I mean I genuinely love the confidence, personality, humor, and energy that can come with a man who knows he doesn’t need to be the tallest person in the room to command attention.

Confidence Is Attractive

One of the things I find incredibly attractive is a man who is comfortable with himself.

If I’m standing next to a guy and I’m taller than him, I don’t want him spending the entire evening worrying about it. I want him to look at me, smile, and think, “Yeah, she’s tall. And?”

That kind of confidence gets me every time.

There’s something especially attractive about someone who doesn’t feel the need to prove his masculinity through height. He knows who he is, and he doesn’t need a few extra inches to feel like a man.

And honestly, as a tall woman, I appreciate that.

I Like Being the Tall One

Maybe this surprises people, but I actually enjoy being tall.

I like my height. I like being able to reach things on high shelves. I like wearing heels without feeling like I suddenly tower over the entire room.

So why would I want a relationship where I have to make myself smaller?

I don’t.

I want someone who likes that I’m tall.

Someone who thinks it’s cute when I put on heels instead of acting like I’ve committed some kind of personal offense against his masculinity.

If he can look at me standing there in heels and say, “You look amazing,” rather than worrying about how we look together, that’s the kind of energy I want.

Personality Beats a Height Requirement

At the end of the day, height is just one physical characteristic.

I care much more about how someone treats me.

Can he make me laugh? Can he hold a conversation? Does he have a good heart? Is he affectionate? Is he confident without being arrogant? Can we be ridiculous together?

Those things matter to me so much more than whether I have to tilt my head down or up when we’re talking.

I’d rather date a shorter man who makes me feel adored than a tall man who makes me feel invisible.

Give me the guy who remembers the little things I say. Give me the guy who can make me laugh when I’m having a terrible day. Give me the guy who looks at me like I’m beautiful exactly as I am.

That’s my kind of king.

There’s Something Fun About Breaking the Stereotype

I also love the fact that being a tall woman with a shorter man challenges the idea that couples are supposed to look a certain way.

Why does the man automatically have to be taller?

Why is a woman supposed to be the smaller one?

Why should two people care what strangers think about their height difference?

Personally, I’d rather be happy than coordinate my relationship around somebody else’s expectations.

If I’m taller than my boyfriend, so be it.

If I’m wearing heels and practically looking over his head, so be it.

If people notice us because we don't fit their idea of a stereotypical couple, I can live with that.

Short Kings Deserve Their Flowers

I think shorter men sometimes get unfairly overlooked because dating culture can turn height into a ridiculous checklist.

Six feet.

Six-one.

Six-two.

As if somebody's personality magically improves every time they gain another inch.

I don't buy it.

A man doesn't become more loving, funny, loyal, interesting, or emotionally intelligent because he's tall.

And a shorter man doesn't become less masculine because he's shorter.

To me, masculinity has much more to do with character than centimeters.

So, Why Do I Love Short Kings?

Because I’m not looking for someone who makes me feel smaller.

I’m looking for someone who makes me feel loved.

I’m looking for chemistry, confidence, humor, kindness, attraction, and that feeling where you can be completely yourself around another person.

And if that person happens to be shorter than me?

Perfect.

I’ll happily wear the heels.

I’ll happily stand a little taller.

And I’ll happily tell anyone who asks:

Yes, I’m a tall woman. Yes, I love short kings. And no, I don’t see the problem.

— Cammy