Things Tall Women Are Tired of Hearing

Things Tall Women Are Tired of Hearing

By Cammy

Being a tall woman is something I’ve learned to embrace, but that doesn’t mean I’ve always loved the attention that comes with it.

When you’re noticeably taller than most women, people tend to notice. Sometimes they’re curious, sometimes they’re complimentary, and sometimes they say things without realizing how often you’ve heard them before.

I’ve heard plenty of comments about my height over the years. Some are harmless. Some make me laugh. And some make me wonder why my height seems to be everyone’s business.

So, from one tall woman to another, here are some things I’m honestly tired of hearing.

"Wow, you are tall!"

Yes. I know.

I appreciate that people are often just making conversation, but when you’re tall, you don't exactly forget it. I see where I stand in a group photo. I notice when I’m taller than almost everyone around me. I’ve lived with this height my entire life.

Sometimes I just want to walk into a room without my height being the first thing someone points out.

"How tall are you?"

This one comes up constantly.

There’s something funny about how quickly people feel entitled to ask a tall woman for her exact measurements. You wouldn’t normally walk up to a stranger and ask for their weight, so why does height suddenly feel like public information?

I don't necessarily mind telling people how tall I am. What gets exhausting is being asked over and over again, as if my height is some kind of fascinating statistic.

"Do you play basketball?"

 Of course.

 1And volleyball.

And sometimes people assume I must be an athlete simply because I’m tall.

I actually think it’s funny how quickly people create an entire personality for you based on one physical characteristic. Being tall doesn't automatically mean I love sports, play basketball, or have any special athletic abilities.

I'm just Cammy. I'm tall. That's about it.

"You must have trouble finding clothes." 

Well... yes.

Finding jeans with enough length can be a challenge. Sleeves can mysteriously become three-quarter sleeves. Dresses can become much shorter than intended.

And shoes? That's another conversation entirely.

But the bigger issue isn't that tall women don't want fashionable clothes. It's that for a long time, finding clothes designed with our proportions in mind has been unnecessarily difficult.

When something actually fits properly, it feels like a small victory.

"You're taller than your boyfriend?"

Apparently, this is shocking to some people.

Yes, I can be taller than a man.

Yes, I can wear heels if I want to.

And no, I don't suddenly become less feminine because I’m taller than the person standing next to me.

Height doesn't determine who should be taller in a relationship. People do.

"You should be a model."

I know this is usually meant as a compliment, and I can appreciate the kindness behind it.

But being tall doesn't automatically mean I want to be a model.

Sometimes I’m just buying groceries.

Sometimes I’m getting coffee.

Sometimes I’m trying to have a completely ordinary day without turning my height into a career suggestion.

"You're intimidating."

This one has always stayed with me.

I've wondered how often tall women are described as intimidating simply because they take up more physical space.

Being tall doesn't mean I'm aggressive, unfriendly, or unapproachable. I'm a person before I'm a height.

And honestly, I wish more people would take the time to get to know me before deciding what my height says about my personality.

"I wish I were as tall as you." 

This one is different.

I actually don't mind hearing this.

Maybe because it reminds me that the thing I once felt self-conscious about can be something another woman admires.

There were times when I wished I could blend in a little more. I wanted to wear whatever I liked without wondering whether I looked “too tall.” I wanted to walk into a room without immediately standing out.

But as I've gotten older, I've started seeing my height differently.

It's part of me.

It's not something I need to apologize for or minimize.

Learning to Take up Space 

Being a tall woman has taught me something important: taking up space isn't a bad thing.

For years, I felt like I had to make myself smaller somehow. I would slouch. I would avoid certain shoes. I would sometimes wish I could disappear into the crowd.

Now, I’m learning to stand straight.

To wear the heels.

To buy the clothes I love.

To walk into a room without worrying about whether I'm “too tall.”

And if someone notices my height?

That's okay.

What I'm tired of is the idea that being tall is something that needs to be explained, corrected, or made smaller.

I'm Cammy. I'm a tall woman.

And I'm finally comfortable taking up all the space I was always meant to take.